Friday, December 18, 2009

Tried & Tested, the path without Corruption !

When was the last time you Bribed someone ? Well if you have to deal with Indian Government employees, I dont think you should take time to recollect and if you are unaware of Bribery, welcome to INDIA !
A Passport application as per Aug'08 norms is made for the Fees of Rs.1000/- & must take around 25 days. Well this is a Ideal scenario and I wonder If anything really like this is true. I had applied for a Fresh/ New Passport in Aug'08 directly via Post Office, neither did I bribe anyone nor I applied through agents(who Indirectly take Bribes). Submitted all the documents as required, the Inspector from local police station visted my place, as per their norms I too visited the Police station(though it was the first time I saw my local police station). Many people suggested/ adviced me to Bribe them to get my passport with ease, but I was of opposite mind. In some days, I inquired about the status, the Police gave the clearance & passed on the papers to passport office since there are no Criminal records as off now.
The wait extended from Days to Weeks but I regularly used to check the status online which showed "Under Police clearance", after some months "Under process" & then on its "It is to regret that due to unavoidable circumstances the despatch of Passport has been delayed and will now be despatched in a week's time". I tried calling up the so called Helpline numbers more then I have ever called my Friends, but they were no kind enough to reply even one call.
The weeks turned into months of waiting. Since I had no urgent requirement of the Passport, I was waiting for these people to reply. Basically to see, the Aftermath of Not providing a Bribe. I am feeling no proud to say the months turned into a year. Atlast I gave up and mailed the complaints to our Prime Minister & President.
But I forgot even they are a part of this Lethargic, Corrupted, Prorogue & Graveled Government. I know many would object with me, I know there are lakhs of people applying for passports throughout India, I know the government is working in the same manner since ages, many would interrogate regarding my efforts to change India for the betterment etc etc... but 15 months is no less time. Until today, I am still waiting for my Passport and no one is answerable for the same.
Atlast I personally visited the Passport Office. Was glad to see many proud citizens having the same symptoms. Was in no mood to taste their working atmosphere. First of all a farseeing queue for a Inquiry slip, which is of no use to anyone in the office. Yet every visitor has to follow the rules. Followed up with another queue to meet the APO's cabin. After waiting for around an hour for my file to come, even the APO was unaware about the reason for the delay in processing the passport for 15 months. He just took two signatures, which I think was not required as far as paper work is concerened, may be that was because he had to prove as to something was missing to justify their delay. The APO has given me assurance of receiving the passport in next week via Speed post. Well have waited for 15months so 1 week is just nothing.
This was about my personal experience, similar sort of experience two of my collegue-friends had with the Legal department & R.T.O.
But the question which arises in my mind from the above said experiences are:

  • "Is it possible to get your work done on time from Government Employees without affording bribes ?"
  • "Is India really developing?"
  • "Are all government officials other then whom we met also Corrupted ?"
I don't think anyone would be in a state to answer... because majority of us always take a shorter route of bribing & getting the work done as soon as possible. I wonder if these is how India will really shine !

6 comments:

  1. ke paisa bolta hai :D


    did u get yer passport in the end ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOPE ! Im still waiting for it, but im in no real hurry. So will test my patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to see u that u chose the correct way and that u got so much patience. let us know if n when u actually get ur passport

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys,
    I got a reply frm the RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT - Appellate Authority...
    from APO(PG)
    to rpo.mumbai@mea.gov.in
    cc Prasad ® Sampat
    date Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    subject Re: W11649308 Lethargic Passport Issuing.

    Necessary Action please.
    For APO (PG)

    and also the online status is showing "Passport has been despatched by post on 21-12-2009"

    so breaking your head against Corruption with lil patience, does work !

    ReplyDelete